Monday, March 20, 2006

Nikon D200 against my Fujifilm S2pro

For years now, my Fujifilm S2pro has been my "gold standard" for out of camera color. The SuperCCD sensor, coupled with Fujifilm's tuning of the camera is a superb imager. What's amazing to me is that this camera, which is nearing 4 years old, still manages to hold its own against much newer and faster cameras.

So, when I got my Nikon D200, my plan was to keep my S2pro as my backup camera. However, getting the D200 to be a good for out of camera color shooting jpegs has proven to be quite a challenge. The default D200 settings out of the box give accurate color, but in printed photographs, this is actually dull, non-pleasing color. Humans actually seem to see and remember more vivid than reality, apparently, because prints from my S2pro are more pleasing, but less accurate, in color.

Adjusting the Nikon D200 using their optimize image settings didn't work as well as I hoped. The "Vivid" setting gives nicely saturated images, but they end up overly red. Not noticeable with the porcelain figures I tried for comparison, but on real human skin, waaaaay too red.

Going back to the dpreview boards, I kept reading that people recommended shooting in RAW. However, that defeats the purpose of getting the camera to give me the color I wanted.

Complicating matters is the LCD screen on the back of the D200, which seems on my camera to have a greenish color cast to it. I like that it's so big, but the poor color accuracy of the LCD makes it hard to tell if my white balance is correct.

On March 19th, I shot a very nice model Yulia, http://www.yulia.info with both my D200 and S2pro for comparison and to tune my D200. The S2pro effortlessly made great out of camera jpegs. The D200....didn't do as well. In cases where the images were slightly overexposed, the whole image begins to go yellowish before going white. Really quite hideous. Messing with custom settings did not give me the happy results I was hoping for.

Bottom line: I'm going to have to settle for my D200 settings at simply activating mode III in sRGB color, with medium high sharpening. The images will be slightly redder than their S2 counterparts, but that's better than being bluer/purpler, which is what happened with my D200 images. I'll post a couple of photos for comparison separately. Why Nikon went with this Sony sensor instead of a decent Fujifilm sensor, I'll never know.

Rumor has it that Fujifilm's possible next digital SLR uses a D200 body. If the sensor retains the Fujifilm color and if the body remains like the D200, I'll be looking for an upgrade/replacement...for my D200, while keeping the S2pro as backup.

6 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

qihang0919,longchamp handbags
ray-ban sunglasses
new balance outlet
canada goose uk
nike roshe run
adidas original trainers
pandora charms
christian louboutin uk
mcm handbags
michael kors
cheap oakleys
instyler curling iron
timberland boots uk
tod's shoes
longchamp pas cher
ralph lauren polos shirts
adidas shoes
kate spade outlet
adidas superstars
sac longchamp
coach outlet
fake oakley sunglasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
mont blanc pens
celine handbags
louis vuitton
nike free runs
coach outlet canada
nike air huarache
ed hardy clothing
coach factory outlet
tory burch outlet
fitflops sale clearance
prada uk
q

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...






I was excited to discover this website
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-moving-company-al-madina.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-moving-company-yanbu.html

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

salomon boots
canada goose jackets
canada goose jackets
canada goose outlet
football soldes
pandora
nike basketball shoes
jordans
christian louboutin
pandora jewelry outlet

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.8.2
nike shoes for women
moncler online outlet
oakley sunglasses
manolo blahnik
coach outlet
adidas nmd
oakley sunglasses wholesale
air jordan 4
polo lacoste
christian louboutin outlet

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger tamer said...

شركة عزل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
العزل من أهم الأعمال التي تقوم بتنفيذها شركتنا، فهي تحافظ على نظافة خزانات المياه وتمنع من تفاعل المياه بأي من المواد الغير طبيعية أو الطبيعية، إضافة إلى أن العزل في حد ذاته من المواد التي تحافظ على خزان المياه وتطيل من عمره وتحافظ على المياه من أن تتعرض للجراثيم والفيروسات.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger mai said...

تعد شركة سما الصقر
أفضل شركة كشف تسربات المياه في مصر حيث تقوم بعمل العزل  طريق تركيب
حاجز أو غشاء له خاصية منع تسرب الماء أو الرطوبة من و إلى عناصر البناء
كشف تسربات المياة بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات
ارخص شركة كشف تسربات المياه
كشف تسربات المياه بدون تكسير
شركة كشف تسربات مياه بالرياض
كشف تسربات بالرياض
كشف تسربات المياة
شركة فحص تسربات المياة بالرياض
كشف تسربات مياه

 

Post a Comment

<< Home